Sunday, August 22, 2010

I Was A PITA Vegan Today

Lunch was at Mom's Place in Purcellville. There was nothing on the menu that I could eat, besides the Side Salad, but the owner, Stella, assured me that they could put together a vegan meal with no problem. The chef was formerly of the Willard, so I was eager to taste whatever I could of his cuisine. Below is the $3.50 Side Salad w/a Balsamic reduction as well as Vinaigrette and all the Onions off Mr. SV's Salad..
The homemade bread is usually served with Garlic Butter, but they made a batch for me without. Warm and soft, I thoroughly enjoyed dipping it in the Olive Oil that came with my Salad.
When Stella asked me what I ate, all I could think of was Veggie Burgers. Trying to be as low-maintenance as possible, I suggested Vegetables on Pasta as a typical vegan meal.
In summation, we'll be going back again next week, and not just because Stella will be making a vegan Lentil Soup.
I was so super stuffed after lunch -- a ton of tiny Tomatoes, Diced Squash, Mushrooms and other fresh roasted goodness was hiding under all that Angel Hair Pasta -- all I had for dinner was Zucchini Pancakes...
...and lots of Lost Vineyards Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon...

13 comments:

dirtyduck said...

oh thats so fun! i love the hidden veggies:) you are showing lots of restaurants what vegan is, you can be proud of that. now they will be prepard if another vegetarian comes in.

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

That is really cool that you are having them make you some yummy vegan options!

Debra said...

Mom's Place looks like a cute little restaurant. It is AWESOME that you could make the most of it, create a Vegan Meal there and enjoy yourself. Looks Yummy!

Rose said...

Great that Stella was happy to accommodate with some yummy vegan plates. I love dipping bread in oil and vinegar....that bread looks soft and delicious too.

Rose said...

I forgot to ask...what does P-I-T-A vegan stand for?

Stacy said...

This looks great--we rarely eat out and when we do, we tend to exclusively go to places where I know I can get something vegan without asking for anything "special" because I just don't want to deal with it. It's a little ridiculous, though, because it means we only go to about 2-3 restaurants in town, and it makes it hard to go out with friends who maybe don't want falafel and would rather go someplace a little more upscale (which seem to be the hardest places to just find something vegan). These people seem like they were very helpful, though, so maybe I need to give more places a shot.

blessedmama said...

Well, I'm back from a long weekend and just HAD to see what you've been eating the last few days! It doesn't look like you've been starving, girl. I think it's hilarious that all you could think of that you ate was veggie burgers - so telling. Ah, glad I'm back.

Bianca said...

I love when restaurants are willing to create special vegan dishes. And I really love it when I order something like that and any omnis with me get super jealous of my customized food.

Jessica said...

I know it feels like being a PITA but it's nice that they're willing to help you out. Pasta and vegetables are always a good combo and usually easy enough for a restaurant to make vegan.

Susan G said...

Glad to see there is a restaurant in Purcellville that can accommodate - I am hope to move there sometime soon!

Carissa said...

Hello I am baaaaaack! I love those zucchini pancakes and that pasta looks wonderful!

Jenny said...

Ohh...I had to google P.I.T.A....I'm a little slow! ha. That's so nice they made you something special.

Vegan In The VI said...

Hello, Ladies!

Asking for anything special at a restaurant is not.my.style. The whole thing made me really uncomfortable, but I do want to support a nice local business. Quite a paradox.

Rose, Pain In The Ass. That's what PITA stands for.

Bianca, I love when that happens too. It surprises me too, when I realize I never would've had such a great meal if I wasn't vegan.

Susan, I never heard anyone say they hoped to move to Purcellville, but I guess it's pretty nice in a lot of ways. Hopefully, the town planners will keep it in check.

See you all tomorrow!