Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday, December 15th

This morning, Mr. SVegetarian asked me where I wanted to go for breakfast, and, just as wishful thinking, I said 'Great Sage'. We actually went there. Below is the second Bloody Mary $7 I've ever had in my life. It was really spicy, I could only drink about half, and I caught a little buzz. Still don't understand why FF, Unknown, and millions of other people for that matter, love Bloody Marys so much....
Can't go to Great Sage without having the 'Artichoke Spinach Dip' $10. Mind-blowing as always...
For my entree, I got the 'Hearts of Palm crab Cake Benedict' $12. Two 'Crab Cakes' on a toasted English Muffin with wilted Spinach, Tofu Scramble and a rich 'Hollandaise' Sauce...
Crab Cake innards....
Mr. SVegetarian had the 'Harvest Plate' $13. House-made sliced 'Turkey', Sweet Potato Sage Stuffing (hidden under the turkey) and Steamed Broccoli with Butternut Squash Gravy and Cranberry Salsa. I tried the Turkey and it was moist and tender. They did a great job on all of it...
My leftover 'Crab Cake Benedict' was enjoyed for dinner and it was even better better reheated. Randy Radish 'Harvest Cake' $6 for dessert. Spice Cake with Sweet Potatoes, Dried Cranberries, Walnuts and Butterscotch Frosting. 
Yesterday, we bought a Doggie Santa Hat. This afternoon we tried to get pics of the pups wearing the hat that were Xmas-card worthy. Typically, none of them came out. Either their eyes were closed..
or the hat kept sliding off...
or they just plain refused to wear the hat. Not to mention the shadows of us hovering over them the whole time ruined the pictures...
Guess it's another store-bought card this year. WFH grub tomorrow.

8 comments:

kimberly said...

Love the eyes closed!!

Unknown said...

Great sage looks like it was ......great! Bloody marys are hit or miss, i like the salted rim on yours. That benedict looks really delightful- so glad Mr Sv took you seriously today.
I love all the doggy photos! The last one made me laugh pretty hard- i say you use all of them- beats a store card any day.

I've made a version of this glogg a few times, usually with the port, without the almonds (weird!) and added some black pepper:
http://www.marcussamuelsson.com/recipe/delicious-swedish-holiday-drink-glogg
Some versions use brandy or rum instead of vodka- whatever you prefer really.
Ttrockwood

foodfeud said...

I like bloody marys because they sound dangerous. And they are a meal and a drink at once!
The crab cakes look kinda gnarly but glad they tasted alright.
LOVE the pup photos!! I tried to put a Santa hat on my mom's cat today and it just started eating it. I would be so much happier to see those Santas on the street than drunken frat boys.

Abby Bean said...

ff is right, also: Pine Box! You haven't truly had a great Bloody Mary until then. The pup photos ARE fantastic! Don't have to be posing to be great :-)

Sarah said...

Ahhhh those pup pictures are amazing! Those are the best kind of photos, they have so much personality! I think you could make a great card with them :) I bet the lucky recipients would have a huge smile if they opened up and saw those adorable pics.

How awesome that you guys got to Great Sage! Your brunch looks absolutely delicious and I have to agree, I've never had any desire to even try a bloody mary... they never seemed appealing to me. The cake looks so yummy!

Hannah said...

SO MANY THINGS TO SAY TODAY.

1. I had my first Caesar last night, which is apparently Canada's version of the Bloody Mary, and it was fricking delicious though I would've liked it to be spicier. I guess I'm on Team FF not Team SV in the cocktail stakes.
2. Cake high five!!!
3. PUPPIES IN SNOW HAPPY HEART

sara said...

Aw, I think those pics are totally card-worthy! I love how they are all showing their different personalities.

I like bloody marys in the winter because they warm me up, plus I'm a saltaholic.

Vegan In The VI said...

Hey Now!!!!!

Kimberly, thanks! If only Teddy's eyes were open, we might've been able to use that for a card.

Unknown, synchronicity! I saw Marcus Samuelsson's recipe on the People.com earlier website today (was looking at Rebecca RomiJn and Jerry O'Connel's Xmas card). Must be the recipe I was meant to use. Vodka for sure and no Almonds. Don't want my drink to be chewy, lest I gag.

FF, you're not selling me on the Bloody Mary thing. A 'Rusty Nail' or a 'Scorpion' sounds dangerous. The only thing I liked about the cocktail was it didn't go down quickly, so it was economical in that sense. Couldn't get a good pic of the Crab Cakes, but they did taste great. You needed to wink wink at those drunken frat boys.

Abby Bean, I would love to go to Pine Box, so much, but I will never get to Brooklyn/Bushwick. Ever. Glad it exists though.

Sarah, Bloody Marys taste exactly like they look like they would taste. You were never curious why everyone is drinking them?

Hannah, are you a fan of Tomato Juice to begin with?

Sara, guess I'm gonna have to try another Bloody Mary just to be sure. All in the name of research.