Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tuesday, June 24th

Did you know that Strawberries originated in Brittany, France in the 1750's? I do now, thanks to Wikipedia, but I didn't yet know when I was eating a pound of them for breakfast this morning...
Lunch was a 'Mediterranean Picnic Sandwich' via The Randy Radish...Zucchini, Squash, Eggplant, Red Pepper, Spinach with Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Pesto on a Fresh Baked Roll...
The international theme continued on to Spain with a bowl of LPQ Gazpacho for dinner...There was some Pesto-type stuff that had congealed on top along with diced Radishes. I plowed right through all of that with a piece of WW bread. The spiciness built nice & slowly as I made my way to the bottom of the bowl. Thanks for the rec, Unknown!
USA represented at dessert time with a chunk of a Great Sage 'Campfire Smores Cookie'...
Great food day with no turning on of the oven at all. Bye for now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those frenchies do know good food..... Somehow i thought strawberries were older than that. Hhmm. Great sandwich from randy! That pesto-y spread sounds so flavorful- and a nice generous stuffing of veggies in there.
Glad you liked the gazpacho :) i remember a garnish of some sort last summer but dunno what the green pesto stuff is...maybe that's new. Glad you had bread for dunking, that is very important.

Did your AC die for good?? Are you S.O.L. for the rest of the summer?? I survived a summer without AC (barely) and learned that simply sticking my feet in a very very cold shower would cool me off instantly. Because sometimes 3 cold showers a day is not enough....
Ttrockwood

Ingrid said...

This post could be called "The World Plate", like the World Cup.

I feel like s'mores are an excellent food to associate with America. Now, I'll have to go to Wikipedia to see if they really "belong" to us. ;)

foodfeud said...

Ditto Ingrid! Very soccer celebratory.
The sandwich sounds great, the cold congealed pesto looks gross. Gazpacho can be very good, though.
Great Sage really knows how to do cookies.

Sarah said...

Oh that Campfire S'mores Cookie is making me very jealous. It looks so good. So does that sandwich, definitely a great lunch! Very interesting about the strawberries, what made you think to look it up? I don't know how I feel about gazpacho... I've never had it and never really had an urge to try it. Maybe I'll add it to the list with chili and faux crab cakes.

Vegan In The VI said...

Hey Now!!!!

Unknown, I really did like the Gazpacho. It was unusually satisfying, not completely pureed. Supposedly, the A/C will be fixed tomorrow morning. I've been coping by mopping down with damp paper towels.

Ingrid, I see that S'Mores originated with the Girl Scouts back in 1927. Learn sumthin new every day.

FF, had I known there was going to be cold congealed Pesto on my Gazpacho, I would've have taken the container out of the fridge a little earlier to melt...nonetheless, I keep it real here. I did eat the congealed Pesto.

Sarah, I don't know why I looked up the origin of Strawberries. Normally, I'm not very inquisitive. Your list of things to try is starting to get rather lengthy. You may want to start checking off a thing or two.