Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WTF Wednesday

Now that it appears I may be able to continue working from home two days a week, I'm gonna have to stock up on extra grub to have on hand. Today, I scrounged up TJ's Speculoos and Raspberry Preserves on an Ezekiel English Muffin for breakfast...
Later on, I drained a can of Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilis to make Tofu Scramble for lunch. (The Tofu had a July 2011 expiration date, but still tasted fine).
Field Roast Hazelnut Cranberry Roast En Croute (really old and getting tough but still pretty (to look at)) and Steamed Broccoli for dinner.
Half a slice of Coconut Cake from Vegan Treats via Loving Hut for dessert.
So while it will be horrible getting up at 4:45am to go sit in my cube all day, it will be nice to eat lunch out tomorrow.

6 comments:

Ingrid said...

4:45am is horrific, I am so sorry! I wake up at 5:30am, and am a very unhappy camper. According to my VA extended family members, a two hour commute is not that uncommon. Please tell me they're lying.

Tofu scramble is appropriate at all times of the day. So is coconut cake.

Zoa said...

Yeah, those best before dates are just guidelines, IMO. For me, the sniff test (and sometimes a little nibble just to confirm) are good enough. That makes me sound like a hoarder, but then, I buy in bulk.

Miss Rachel said...

Aagh - you used canned tomatoes! Nooo! (Kidding.)

4:45 is awfully early. Do you have a long commute or do you go to the gym before work or something? Or maybe it takes a long time to take care of all your ani-mules.

The food looks very good, and the English muffin is making me look forward to breakfast. And it's 11:30 at night.

blessedmama said...

Oh, I'm so glad to see that you are staying consistent with testing the limits of expiration dates, whether noted on packages or in perishables that you've already opened. My children will be studying your site for their biology course. Their pencils are sharpened to take notes.

xvavaveganx said...

4:45 is really gross. Your breakfast looks SOOOOO good though! As long as it smells and tastes fine I'm sure you'll be ok :) That coconut cake!!! OMG YUM!!!! I love coconut cake and that one looks yummy!

PS. I've taken every dose of my meds :)

Vegan In The VI said...

Hey Now!!!!

Ingrid, all metro-DCers experience a minimum 2-hour commute several times a year. Mine is only about 45 mins daily each way if I leave early enough and exceed the speed liit.

Zoa, hoarding/buying in bulk. Semantics. I'm not a follower of best buy dates, but was feeling somewhat squeamish about the Tofu for some reason.

Miss Rachel, thanks for bringing to my attention the stockpile of canned goods I have in my pantry. There are four litter boxes to be cleaned in the house alone before work, not to mention hitting barn chores. Sucks to wake up and be me.

Blessed Mama, 'best buy' dates didn't exist when I was a kid. Methinks they're just a creation of corporate America to make us discard perfectly edible food and buy more. Howzat for a homework assignment?

VaVa, you sound awfully rarin' to go for a person supposedly under DRs orders to take it easy.