Monday, April 12, 2010

The Long National Wait Is Over

At least mine is, anyway:
Yes, I scarfed up the last two bags of Daiya today at Whole Foods like a fiend. A grabby pathetic vegan fiend clutching the little $4.39 each bags in my grubby little hands.

....Oh yeah....what else?

Kombucha - Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I have been feeling a lot better since I began drinking this fermented beverage. Steamed Vegetables with some Cajun Tofu & Garbanzos off the Global Cuisine Bar.
How to use the Daiya for dinner? Important decisions! We all want to recreate our old favorites, so I started off slow -- sprinkling the Daiya on top of a Boca Burger with sliced Tomato on Whole Wheat with Tater Tots.
How did it perform? Reasonably well. Not disgusting. No Cracker Barrel. Exhibited some stretchiness. Glad it exists. Lots of Frontera Cabernet/Merlot makes me feel very charitable. See you tomorrow!

9 comments:

~M~ said...

I like Daiya. I have noticed as long as the food stays hot it is good. Once it starts cooling off it gets semi wax like.

dirtyduck said...

LOVE this post you are so funny.i know that grabby feeling!!!you are not alone!lol one time i found rice whipped cream for 199 each, i bought four! i will try and find this when i go out of state:) sometimes i have a hard time eating stuff thats "mock" you know? but this looks good. kombucha (sp?) i dont know if im up for that yet!!

dirtyduck said...

i looked again, but it says soy free...what did they make it out of?

Stacy said...

I would have thought you'd be more gung-ho on the Daiya. I think it's much better than the alternatives.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to just brush over your lack of Daiya enthusiasm and applaud your efforts to grab the last two bags, expected no less. Did not expect this be the 5th post I've read today about kambucha or whatever. Is this a bandwagon I need to catch a ride on?

Anonymous said...

YAY FOR DAIYA!
I also feel better when I drink kombucha.

Vegan In The VI said...

Hello, Ladies!

After all the posts on Daiya and my searching high and low for it, my hopes were super high. It's definitely better than any vegan cheese I've tried so far, but, I dunno. Just my opinion. I didn't look to see what is made of.

Kombucha - The first one isn't so great, be careful opening, but seriously, this might be an actual elixir! Highly recommend!

Jill said...

Daiya cheese has also arrived in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It seems the price is more reasonable in Virginia. Here, it's $8.99 for 300g. Eeek! It is pretty impressive though.

Dianne said...

Aarrrgh I can never find Daiya anywhere!!!! I ordered it once from Vegan Essentials and have been craving it ever since. There was talk of getting it at my local co-op but I've never seen it so I think it was just a vicious rumor, or other grubby grabby vegans snatched it up before me! Anyway, I'm jealous :-)