Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Day Of Firsts

I steamed Artichokes today for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed them with good old Veganaisse. Can't wait to make them again! What took me so long????
For dinner, I finally made a loaf from the Magical Loaf Studio...
It came out of the loaf pan in one nice piece, but did crumble a little upon slicing. This is the recipe I selected and it was very delicious!
1/2 cup walnuts
2 TB olive oil
One onion, diced
One large garlic clove, minced
2 cups mashed firm tofu
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 to 1/2 cup tomato juice, as needed
1/2 cup uncooked polenta
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 TB nutritional yeast flakes
2 TB ketchup
Several dashes vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 TB soy sauce


No dessert, just a bottle of Chateau St. Jean. See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

Vegan Epicurean said...

Congratulations on the artichokes! They are one of my favorite foods. I could eat them every week.

What did you think of the texture of the loaf?

Alicia

Vegan In The VI said...

Hi Alicia! The loaf was very moist, but also very delicate. I am recommending it.

Vegan Epicurean said...

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Alicia

Rose said...

Glad to hear the artichokes were a success! They look good.

Your meatloaf looks wonderful...thanks for the link to the Magical Loaf Studio...what a cool idea...I just generated a version of loaf with chickpeas and walnuts...can't wait to try it. Yum!

blessedmama said...

Well, congratulations to our newest cook!! And asparagus steamer! Excellent, good job! Now, you'll be an artichoke addict like Alicia, Rose and me. :)

dirtyduck said...

ill steam mine when i buy them, they should be on sale soon here. i usually boil but i think i would prefer steamed. congrats on your first time steaming:) that loaf looks good also

Anonymous said...

Well the artichokes look lovely, like big flowers. And here comes the silly question (because I've failed miserably at working with artichokes myself), you only eat the innards right?

Vegan In The VI said...

Thanks, Ladies! I can't wait to eat more steamed Artichokes. The ones I bought were from Whole Foods, so I don't want to risk trying any from anywhere else yet. I'll pick more up this week.

Amanda, I'd say this link helped me the most to prepare and eat my first Artichokes: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cook_and_eat_an_artichoke/