Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saturday, April 5th

Today's grub was very similar to two weeks ago. I started out at at Superfoods On Main with a 'Green Smoothie' $6.99. Spinach, Rice Milk and Hemp Protein Powder...
Sat around a while at The Telescope Store while Mr. SVegetarian shopped. Abbey and her brother, Buzz, who wasn't as cooperative about being photographed, both took turns keeping me great company...
Went to lunch at Great Sage, where Mr. SVegetarian ordered the Soup Du Jour: White Bean and Potato $4.50. He allowed me a taste and it was exquisite..
and, again, we split the 'Spinach & Artichoke Dip' $10....
should have stopped there, but we were hungry after the Telescope Store and had already each ordered the 'Adult Mac & Cheese' $14. Baked Casserole 'au gratin' with Rigatoni, Sun-Dried Tomato, Pepperoncini, Cannelini Beans, Cauliflower, Spinach, Basil and White Truffle in Creamy Vegan Mornay Sauce. Took most of it home...
stopped in at Roots Market to stock up on lots of prepared foods for the week and to scope out some Glory Doughnuts...
Yes, a local vegan doughnut operation! To say neither of the flavors of the day appealed to me is an understatement. Plus, I was paying $5 for a doughnut. I picked the least objectionable: 'Blue Ribbon Apple Pie'...
My expectations for this doughnut were rock bottom, so I am thrilled to say: it was freakin' fantastic! Apple Pie Filling, Whipped Cream and a Bite of Rich Pastry all stuffed into the middle of a soft fresh Cinnamony Doughnut. A dessert extravaganza! Can't wait to try their other flavors (but will probably still avoid the Bacon Bourbon flavor).
Howzat for a post? Bye for now.

6 comments:

sara said...

I don't often crave a donut but that maple bacon donut stopped me in my (scrolling) tracks and called to me. However I don't think I'd pay $5 for a donut, wow.

Ingrid said...

Gorgeous smoothie. I feel healthier just by proxy.

A cute pup always helps when waiting on someone!

Great Sage and Roots Markets - yum! Holy baked mac & cheese! I can't wait to see your leftovers, and what a doughnut! I know I should head over to Voodoo Doughnuts to try one of their vegan specialties, but I'm unwilling to wait an hour in line...

Unknown said...

That smoothie is such a fantastic color!!
What a gorgeous dog-i have such a soft spot for labs....
Lunch looks wonderful, i'm sure the mac and cheese will make a great meal reheated too.
The vegan donuts are exciting!! Glad it was delicious- but $5?? Even babycakes cost $4.... I'm sure you found some deliciousness at roots.
I bought some of the carob energy nuggets, i'm enjoying them with my juice for quick lunches lately- the crispy rice inside is a nice touch.
Ttrockwood

Sarah said...

What a great post! The smoothie is such a pretty green. I bet that was a great energy boost for a morning of shopping. Abby is such a beautiful pup, what great company to have!

I love seeing your meals from Great Sage, they always look so delicious. I don't blame you for sticking with your spinach and artichoke dip... it looks perfect. The mac n cheese sounds tasty too!

I am the last person that would ever justify spending $5 on a donut but that apple pie donut may just make me change my tune! That thing looks incredible! I'm with you though, the maple bacon donut isn't appealing to me at all.

foodfeud said...

What a great day for food and dogs.
mac and cheese is always good, even leftover.
I haven't ever had a vegan doughnut! I'll have to stop by Dunwells to see their flavor options....and price tag. Glad the doughnut was good, though maybe that one could do with a touch of bourbon flavor as well, no?

Vegan In The VI said...

Hey Now!!!!

Sara, you are braver than me. I think they would have to pay me $5 to eat a Maple Bacon Doughnut.

Ingrid, I would totally wait in line for an hour for Voodoo Donuts. Course, I'd buy more than one.

Unknown, maybe if we get some vegan doughnut competition down here, the prices will go down.I was expecting to hear you hopped on a Citibike to Tribeca or Chinatown. Those Carob Energy Bites are so great.

Sarah, meeting new pups and eating good vegan grub. That's my kind of day.

FF, you've never had a vegan donut?! Now that is a shocker. I thought the Apple Pie Donut would be bland and boring, but it was Cinnamony enough to totally satisfy.