Monday, June 24, 2013

WTF Monday

A heated up slice of The Randy Radish Quiche for breakfast. It's gotten knocked around in fridge a little over the past few weeks, but still tastes as great as day one.
A Really Big Salad With Lots Of Stuff In It for lunch.
CSA Soup for dinner. Like putting a red sock in the laundry,  it's turning pink cuz of the Beet Greens. ..
After all that healthy grub, I felt the need to binge. Tofutti Cream Cheese and Cucumber on a toasted Millet & Flax Bagel for dessert filled the bill.
A day of sadness here at the Shenandoah Vegan. The baby chicks that I've been showing on the blog were not Eastern Phoebes after all. They turned out to be Brown Headed Cowbirds. The larger Brown Headed Cowbirds crowded out and the smaller baby Phoebes. The baby Phoebes didn't get enough food to survive.  Had I known sooner, I still wouldn't have been able to physically harm the BHC baby chicks, but hopefully, in the future, I'll be able to recognize the eggs before they hatch. On the plus side, the Brown Headed Cowbirds have left the nest.

7 comments:

foodfeud said...

Sad about the little birds! So both types of bird were in the nest? How did you find out what kind of birds they were? What would you have done with the eggs if you had known? Aw.
I love when beets turn everything pink.

xvavaveganx said...

Aww so sad about the birds. It's so hard to know about that :(

Loving all of the veggies again. It looks like the quiche held up well even with being knocked around. Bagel for dessert is right up my alley!

xvavaveganx said...

It's so hard to know about that before it's too late*

Anonymous said...

That is sad about the baby birds. :( I've heard of that happening before. Poor sweeties.

Glad to see the quiche is holding up so well. It still looks just as good!

Unknown said...

How sad about the birds- nature can be so ruthless!

Really healthy day of veggie filled meals here- i'm impressed even more by the randy radish now that it stood the test of time. And the tofutii and bagel hardly qualifies as a binge... Just a savory dessert.
I'm around, just sleeping under my desk lately- freelance gig is kicking my a$$. I'm too old and cranky for these 12 hour work days!
Ttrockwood

Ingrid said...

So the first thing I did was follow your link and read up on the BHCs - it sounds like such an impossible situation! They sneak all of the food, and even if you move the egg - the mama comes back with another one. Ack! Poor little phoebes. :(

Vegan In The VI said...

Hey Now!!!!

FF, yes, both types of birds were in the nest. After the Brown Headed Cowbirds left, I found the crumpled bodies of the Phoebes. Mr. SV buried them. I probably would just put the BHC eggs in the woods, had I caught them in time.

VaVa, it's a gluten free bagel, still delicious!

RVs, so much heartache with these baby birds! You are lucky you didn't have any.

Unknown, yes, nature is very cruel. Wow, sleeping under your desk like George Costanza;-) except he did it during the day.

Ingrid, it's a miracle there are any little birds at all with that going on!