Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday, March 1st

First meal of the day at Black Bear Bistro. My Chicken Sandwich on Rye with LTO & Vegenaisse $8. The Chicken appeared to be the Gardein Chicken Fingers. Quite excellent....
Mr. SVegetarian got the Two Vegan Dogs $7.95. They appeared to be Tofu Pups....
Last weekend, Mr. SVegetarian and I stopped into an Asian market and happened to see some Baby Eggplants. One of the few things Mr. SVegetarian and I have in common is our distaste for Eggplant, however, both of us were completely smitten with these tiny little Babies. How could something so adorbs possibly be bad?
Tonight, I tried cooking the Baby Eggplants. The first couple I ate weren't weren't too horrible, but after that, they got to be too much. Mr. SVegetarian didn't try any, so the Pups will be enjoying the rest. (Yes, the Roasted Cherry Tomatoes imploded a little)...
So Delicious Mocha Fudge for dessert (still can't get a good picture of this so delicious treat)...

Laterrrrr.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Interesting; I've only ever seen baby eggplant used in Thai curries, where the salty/coconut/sweet/tangy/umami counters the bitterness of the stupid eggplant (yeah, I'm not a fan either ;) )

foodfeud said...

I happen to like eggplant, but yeah, maybe they would have been more palatable in a sauce or a curry. They are definitely cute though. I wouldn't be able to pass them up either. There's another variety called a Fairytale eggplant that is a gorgeous violet, along with having a cool name. I always buy em when I see em.
Funny to see stacked chicken fingers on a sandwich but I guess it worked.

Sarah said...

Your brunch looks so good. The sandwich looks great and the fries and pickles are the perfect sides. The eggplants really are adorable. I love eating eggplant in Thai dishes. I've found that I'm not a huge fan of eggplant when I cook it but enjoy it when other people cook it.

Unknown said...

I think black bear may be the only place with a vegan chicken finger sandwich on swirly rye bread! Those fries look really good- the skins always have nice flavor.

Those eggplants are adorable! My favorite is miso eggplant at japanese restaurants. Dunno if you will ever try eggplant again but bon app figured it out:
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ginger-miso-glazed-eggplant

Who cares what the ice cream pics look like- we know thats the good stuff
Ttrockwood

blessedmama said...

My jaw would pop trying to bite into your sandwich, not counting the fact that it's your sandwich, and why am I trying to bite it? Anywaaaaay, eggplant - how did you cook it? It can be so good; you'll have to try it again. Cherry tomatoes are so good when they implode!

Vegan In The VI said...

Hey Now!!!!

Hannah, I too, enjoy Eggplant in my Thai Curry. They know how to make it not bitter.

FF, I know you're an Eggplant fan. I've been trying my darndest for years to like them too, because it would be nice to make something different for dinner. Black Bear Bistro fried up the chicken fingers really crispy, so they were better than when made at home.

Sarah, guess we're stuck eating Eggplant only in Thai restaurants for now.

Unknown, seriously, they absolutely do not make Miso Eggplant down here. It is no where to be found. I will take note of the Bon Appetite recipe. Your recipe recs have worked out very well in the past.

Blessed Mama, I'm not as dainty as you. Nothing I like better than a 'Dagwood Sandwich'.