Saturday, October 3, 2009

One Block West, Winchester

We had a gourmet lunch today at One Block West.
I enjoyed a Cataluna (Spanish) Pinot Noir $7
We went through two loaves of their bread which is served hot out of the oven. We both ordered "Ed's Pasta" - Tomatoes, Artichokes, Basil, Capers, Garlic and White Wine $8. The pasta was fresh and the dish was much more flavorful than it appeared, wish I could identify the different herbs and spices that were used.Rarely can I find a vegan dessert to order in a restaurant, so when I saw the "Pineapple One Block West" on the menu, even though I was stuffed, what could I do?
Pineapple flambeed in Rum, served over Coconut Sorbet and topped with Toasted Coconut $8. They subbed Simple Syrup for the butter usually used to make the dessert.

4 comments:

Rose said...

The food (& wine) does look good. That pineapple flambe with coconut sorbet and rum makes me crazy thinking about it...I want some now! It was cool of them to veganize it for you.

Vegan Epicurean said...

The pineapple flambe does look good! We had dinner tonight at "Great Sage" in Columbia, MD. The fruit crisp tonight was peach and pineapple with rice milk ice cream which reminded me of your dessert.

Alicia

Chef Ed said...

Thanks for coming in on Saturday.

The pasta starts with browning garlic in extra virgin, then adding roasted tomatoes, artichokes, capers, basil, white wine, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

To veganize any sugar/butter sauce, you can generally substitute an equal quantity of water for the butter, which is what we did with the butter/brown sugar sauce for your Pineapple OBW. We also do this for people with dairy allergies.

Ed

Vegan In The VI said...

Wow! Chef Ed came to my blog! I am honored! Again, great meal on Saturday. Thanks!