Sunday, December 14, 2014

Sunday, December 14th

Several months of dining at True Food Kitchen have taught me that, although items are listed as vegan on the menu, when ordering the Tofu Scramble Wrap you have to specify 'no cheese' on the Side Beans (and when ordering the Andy's TLT, specify 'no cheese' on the Side Salad). So we were confused when, after ordering the Tofu Scramble Wrap this morning, the server returned a while later to see if I didnt want cheese on the Wrap as well. Since the Tofu Scramble Wrap has never had cheese in it to my knowledge, I just said, right no cheese, I'm vegan and the Mr. is Vegetarian. I thought the Wrap tasted different when I ate my half, but Mr. SVegetarian said he didn't notice a difference when he ate his half. There was a charge for $1.50 for 'One Egg' when the check arrived. I asked the server what that was about and he explained that I had asked for no cheese, but said the word 'scramble' which meant 'egg'. Hmmmm...so Mr. SVegetarian tries to be his aw shucks character saying 'well, I am sure this place gets their eggs from free range happy chickens' etc. This prompted the server to start detailing how the meat for the restaurant comes from animals in Uruguay that are treated so well and are so content, that they dont even realize it when they are being slaughtered. God only knows what I ate for breakfast. Is it any wonder that Monday through Friday I avoid leaving the property? (yes, the egg is readily visible in the below pic, but I didnt realize what it was at the time and am now super concerned that the sausage was real as well, ugh!)...
On a happier note, we wandered around Whole Foods yesterday for a while, killing time time before Native Foods opened. Spotted some vegan Pizza with all the good stuff on top -- Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Artichokes, Spinach, Mushrooms (as well as a couple other goodies to be seen this week).  The reheated Pizza still tasted fresh tonight. Thought for sure it would have been stale...
Some really old Peanut Chews to finish out the weekend...
Bye for now.

7 comments:

Ingrid said...

Holy cow! Er, chicken! So super frustrating. "Scramble" does not equal egg. I've had a similar encounter with eggs before, and I wish the servers were thinking when they put in the order!

Backing up to yesterday - hooray for Native Foods, and for the closer store having better food! Speaking of which, I haven't been there in ages...

foodfeud said...

I am confused by what happened with yr breakfast but it sounds unsavory. Did you actually have to pay that extra $1.50 for them screwing up the order?
Let's focus on that pizza.

Unknown said...

What?! At what point did "tofu wrap without cheese" sound like "please add an egg"?!?
I hope you didn't leave a tip for the twit. Fretting over the situation now will just give you frown lines and $hit happens.
That is a great looking slice of pizza! Love the artichoke on there too.

I should have shared my borscht with FF but i kinda ate it all...! Who knows what is in the next frozen tupperware though. Maybe that mushroom wild rice soup? I had a hummus and pickle bagelwich with lots of coffee to power through some packing today.
Ttrockwood

Unknown said...

This is why I don't go out to eat.

Hillary said...

What a nightmare! That is the worst. I have been a server for many years, at various different types of restaurants, and I could write a book on reasons to not eat at restaurants. I'm sorry that happened to you. The whole foods pizza does look delicious though!

Sarah said...

Wait what?! If I remember correctly didn't it say vegan on the menu?! That is so ridiculous and confusing. Ugh. Definitely sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully the amazing looking pizza helped but ugh what an ordeal.

Vegan In The VI said...

Hey Now!!!!

Ingrid, this weekend I am going for the Meatball Sub. Gotta eat my way through the menu (except for the Beet Steak. Poo!)

FF, yes, I paid $1.50 for an Egg I didnt want or ask for, just cuz I didnt want any negativity occuring around me, I am stoopid.

Unknown, major first world problems happening down here. I kept telling myself that at least i dont have Ebola, but, what the heck did i eat yesterday?! Hopefully, one day, I will be able to get breakfast at a 100% vegan restaurant and eat with confidence. Mushroom Wild Rice Soup sounds better than Mushroom Barley Soup. I havent had good luck with the Mushroom Barley in recent years.

VP, I would definitely read that book! Maybe you could do it as an ebook?

Sarah, yes! the menu says the item is vegan but you still have to specify 'no cheese'! next week, I wont specify 'no cheese' and just not eat the side.