Monday, January 25, 2010

My Vegan Moment

Lunch was at 2941. I made the reservation by phone five days ago, and called to confirm the reservation an hour ahead of time. On both calls, I emphasized that I was vegan. Ordering time arrives and the waiter knows nothing of this vegan **** and tells me I have to accept what is on the regular menu. I point out that nothing on the menu is vegan. The waiter goes to check with the chef who says "we're swamped with Restaurant Week and all we can offer you is the salad without the shrimp and cheese". Why couldn't they tell me they can't accommodate vegans when they had me on the phone twice before? To cope with this situation, I order the 'Yuzulicious' Cocktail $11. Supposedly consisted of: Grey Goose Vodka, Yuzu Juice, Cranberry Confit and Simple Syrup. Tasted like it consisted of: Vodka & Minute Maid Lemonade. Not that that's a bad thing.
The bread service was ample. I ate a lot of it. Only because there was nothing else to eat. Butter was available for spreading. I got the impression that the Bread tasted really good with Butter...
Speaking of Butter, behold my "Butterhead Lettuce Salad" $12 described as: spicy cashews, Fuji apple, black sesame. Translation: Butter Lettuce with some thinly sliced Apples, some spiced nuts and Black Sesame Seeds.
I was just so happy to get home tonight. I made myself some of that super complicated vegan cuisine for dinner. Seitan cutlets with Baked Potatoes and Sour Supreme:
As Scarlett O'Hara said "Tomorrow is another day."

7 comments:

blessedmama said...

Oh, do I ever feel for you! So many times you think you've got everything planned so as to avoid any complications when you're out. And then, uh oh, vegans? What are they? I agree, the two times you phoned should have been more than sufficient to have let you know they couldn't accomodate you this week. Bummer.

Vegan In The VI said...

THANK YOU FOR GETTING IT!!!! I WAS SO PISSED!!!! Can't they keep a Portobello Mushroom on hand for situations like this?

Rose said...

I totally sympathize with your frustration...and it just highlights how little the people in said kitchen know about food and cooking in general...any semi-sophisticated chef/cook shouldn't be phased by having to prepare something vegan...they are supposedly food professionals afterall.

Sorry for the rant, but I totally agree with your take on this.

blessedmama said...

Mmm, portabello, yes. Let it go now, though. Not worth having a frustrating evening over it. Better day tomorrow!

~M~ said...

Ugh, I hate it when that happens!! That's how it was the whole time we were in Vegas.

Vegan In The VI said...

Thanks for your kind words, Ladies. I'm starting to calm down. Just can't believe how little is involved -- pasta and veggies -- to provide a vegan meal, yet it can't be done.

dirtyduck said...

aw im sorry the salad doesnt look to bad though...but thats sooo lame about the menu it happens to us all.